Interview – Sarah Cohen, designer, Suki Cohen

• By The Museum at FIT
  • In Objects
  • On 4 Sep | '2014
  • permalink

This week we bring you notes from Sarah Cohen, designer of lingerie label Suki Cohen. We caught up with the designer via e-mail, asking her about Suki and her design process. Exposed curator Colleen Hill wrote that “Cohen eschews delicate materials and pastels for black stretch fabrics, and highlights the body using cutouts.” Find out more on Suki Cohen’s website. If you haven’t been to MFIT to see Exposed yet, this Suki Cohen ensemble is on view right now.

Suki Cohen (Sarah Cohen) Bodysuit and bolero jacket / Stretch nylon and neoprene, 2014, Colombia | Photo by Eileen Costa copyright MFIT

Suki Cohen (Sarah Cohen) Bodysuit and bolero jacket / Stretch nylon and neoprene, 2014, Colombia | Photo by Eileen Costa © MFIT

– What is the story behind Suki Cohen?

SC: I just love to design, to be around fabrics to create, so Suki is just the door to my dreams…

– What has been inspiring you lately, and how does that inspiration translate into your designs?

SC: I’ve always thought about a futuristic girl, a Valquiria. I think tough women are sexy. The pieces are so comfortable–I think that’s the future talking about lingerie.

– Can you speak about the textiles you use? Are there any materials you would like to experiment with in the future?

SC: I just love textiles… I think they are infinite but also they become your worst nightmare or challenge in production.

– How does your native Colombia influence your design?

SC: I love sexy girls!!

– Can you explain how you partner with women in Colombia and why it has been a cornerstone of Suki Cohen?

SC: Making and improving everyday. All Suki’s team take their work very seriously (also I think we love what we do). We try to make Suki KARMA FREE.

You can follow Suki Cohen on the label’s Facebook page. Keep following the blog for more lingerie history! We’ll be posting photos, interviews, and excerpts from the book Exposed: A History of Lingerie. Visit the show at MFIT today and share your thoughts on social media with #lingeriehistory

–MM

Cadolle corselet, c.1933 arrow-right
Next post

arrow-left Paquin slip, c.1930
Previous post